Republic Technologies has unveiled its biggest ever NPD programme with the introduction of six new filters from its Swan brand into Scotland’s £29m category.
The rollout comprises three menthol products, including two crushball filters, a carbon paper filter for enhanced filtration, a Swan Long Extra Slim Filter (50% longer than standard) and the most environmentally friendly filter in the Scottish market.
The move comes ahead of the May ban on menthol and crushball cigarettes, and as the accessories market continues to outperform total tobacco, with growth of 4.5% year-on-year. The filters sector is leading the charge, up 9.2% year-on-year.
The full range comprises:
- Swan Cool Menthol Filter: This filter is a sister product to the current Swan Menthol Filter, comprises cellulose acetate fibres and delivers a cool menthol sensation. RSP: £1.09 (120 per box).
- Swan Cool Burst Crushball Filter: The embedded capsule can be activated at any time to release a cool menthol flavour sensation. These filters contain no animal products. RSP: £1.29 (54 per pack).
- Swan Fresh Burst Crushball Filter: The strong peppermint flavour capsule can be crushed at any time. These filters contain no animal products. RRP: £1.29 (54 per pack).
- Swan Graphite Filter: A 100% biodegradable filter, this extra slim product is made with carbon paper. Republic said it “delivers the ultimate in filtration”. RSP: £1.14 (120 per box).
- Swan Long Extra Slim Filter: Developed to reduce the amount of tobacco required per cigarette (and more representative of a factory-made cigarette), this is the longest ever Swan filter (50% longer than the standard 14mm Extra Slim Filter). RSP: £1.03 (80 per box).
- Swan Eco Loose Filter: 100% biodegradable and the most environmentally friendly filter on the UK market. Natural ‘ochre’ coloured, due to no bleaching of the paper. It degrades three times faster than standard cellulose acetate filters. RSP £1.39 (200 per box).
“As increasing numbers of smokers are turning to roll your own, we’re developing a wider range of products for improved customer choice, enabling retailers to capitalise on the strong performance of the accessories category and to take advantage of the margin opportunities offered by Swan, Scotland’s best-selling filter brand,” said Gavin Anderson, General Sales Manager, Republic Technologies (UK).
“The range of six new, high margin SKUs offers existing and new menthol customers an increased choice of flavours and provides both more environmentally friendly filters and filters which reduce the amount of tobacco required to roll your own.
“At a time when increasing numbers of smokers are looking at alternatives to factory made cigarettes, and the emerging vaping sector is still under some scrutiny, carefully considered new product development of this kind enables retailers to provide the solutions, options and quality reassurance which rising numbers of smokers are seeking.
“We’re confident that the introduction of six new filters from the iconic Swan brand will contribute to the sustained value growth of Scotland’s tobacco accessories category in the future.”