Food Standards Scotland has developed a new online training tool to improve awareness about food allergens in manufacturing and catering settings.
The free tool, which should be of interest to retailers with a food-to-go offer, comprises six modules and covers:
- Legal requirements when selling food containing allergens
- Physical reactions when people with allergies are exposed to allergens
- Areas where allergens can impact in manufacturing and catering settings
- Food labelling guidelines
- Food composition
- Providing consumers with allergen information
Modules are designed so progress can be saved and returned to at a later stage, allowing users to learn at their own pace and take advantage of any available training time.
Environmental Health Officer Chris Seyfried said the tool was a “fantastic resource” for businesses to use to ensure compliance with current allergen legislation.
He added: “The tool format is accessible, split into several different modules which can be printed and digested in your own time. At the end of each module there is a multiple-choice quiz that will help to consolidate any learning from the module and consider how it would apply to practice.”